Wednesday, March 17, 2004

The parade

I was never really too bothered about St Patrick's Day until I moved to live outside Ireland - then it meant a lot more to me - not just a day off to go playing football / backing horses / drinking (take your pick depending on the year).

My 'memories' of St Patrick's Day parades were all of the old type - trucks and vans and diggers and trailers agus 'cailini deasa agus iad ag rincire an bord an leorai'.

Today I took my daughter (18 months) to see the parade in Dublin. Maybe it's a reflection of a more confident Ireland, an Ireland where people can afford to spend money on entertainment, or on providing entertainment but the parade now is just that entertainment. It was breathtaking in parts - such colour, performance - all entertainment and what work to prepare it - whether it was choreography, costumes, models, backdrops or music - it was extensive and brilliant. It's worth reflecting also the diversity of the contributors - ethnic contributions of many sounds and colours added hugely to the quality of the entertainment.

I know the weather being so good also makes it easy to enjoy, but if it stays this good, I'll set off earlier to get a better spot next time out.

No comments: